Saturday 3 December 2016

Hobby: Difsta's Road to Arc moves to VMG


So for those of you who have previously followed the facebook page Difsta's Road to Arc, as you have guessed it, Difsta's Road to Arc is moving to the VMG's Hobby section. For those of you who haven't been following it, welcome!

Every year since my very first Arc40k event back in 2014 I have started not only a new army, but worked on it from the "ground up", theme to assembly to painting. And Arc40k 2K17 is no different.

Lord Commander Eidolon and the Emperor's Children



So my army will be based around a character not so well known to the 40k community, Lord Commander Eidolon. He is better known in the 30k community, not that I know anything about that. He is an absolute baller model and has a great story line (even if Gragam McNeill makes him sound like a suck up in The Reflection Crack'd)

What will the army look like?

Well that is a 2 part question really.
  1. What units will the army contain?
  2. What paint job will I be using?


The plan is to try and keep it fairly consistent with Lord Eidolon's canon. He runs with a large amount of Noise Marines. Now this can be a difficult army to use successfully in a game of 1350 points, so I plan on using the Kakophoni models for both the Noise Marines as well as the Havocs in my army, giving the impression of more Noise Marines than there really are. Obviously the Havocs will be armed with heavy weapons (like in the pic above).

What color palette will I be using? At this stage the plan is to keep it true to a 30k/Pre Heresy color scheme with Purple Armour and Gold Trimming (ideally NMM if I can master it). The plan is to have a Black Legion feel to it as Lord Eidolon is one of Abaddon's Lieutenants. So the plan is for one of the shoulder pads to be the Black Legion shoulder pad. I may also end up having a Black background to the Legion's shoulder pad (traditionally White). However I will be working on a few test minis in the coming weeks, or early in the new year.

Besides Noise Marines what will be in the army?

At this stage it is early days for this. I have a rough idea of what I want to run, however with the Traitor's Legion book just around the corner I don't want to over commit to an army till I know what I can take.

I am looking at taking a Helbrute, using a Contemptor Dreadnought as the basis to represent Ancient Sarancos who was a former champion of the 9th Millennial before being interred within the adamantium shell of a Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought. Sarancos was a part of Lord Commander Eidolon's Traitor command, and he is thought to have survived the battle on Istvaan III, although he became mentally unstable owing to a combination of battle damage and trauma.

A mentally unstable dreadnought screams to me Helbrute. I have never used a Helbrute before (I have used imperial dreadnoughts, but never the chaos variety with the Crazed table) and it also gives me some pretty awesome modelling options.

Using some photo editing software and some photos from Forgeworld I have come up with a design I am fairly keen on giving a go... such a baller model!


So keep an eye out for continual updates in the Hobby section of the VMG page.

No comments:

Post a Comment