Sunday 4 December 2016

Introductions: Allan

Allan

My name is Allan – and I’ve been hobbying since I was about 12 (even younger if you count the Hero Quest years). My friend noticed a Hero Quest box on my shelf and decreed loudly that I HAD WARHAMMER! Not knowing what that was, he proceeded to explain, and I remember we spent that night converting and fiddling with the skeletons in the box. About a month later I went on my first trip to a Games Workshop, and the rest is history. Since then I’ve worked for Games Workshop a couple of times in a number of different locations, my hobby has soared much higher than fiddling with one pose plastic skeletons, now I play most systems available. So far on my painting table I have: Malifaux, Infinity, Warmachine (and Hordes), 40k, Fantasy (or AOS if you are so inclined), Blood Bowl, Guild Ball, SAGA, Beyond the Gates of Antares and even a little Konflict ’47.

But most of you probably know me for my role at The House of War, the biggest tabletop gaming shop in the southern hemisphere! Or perhaps my role as the eastern suburbs Henchman for Malifaux (probably my favourite game) – a game that I will talk about to great lengths until you’re either frothing at the mouth to play or bored to tears. It was the game that brought me to skirmish games and really allowed my hobby to flourish – I find painting individual models over ‘squads’ to be very satisfying, easy to do and therapeutic – and as a result I get more models painted that way than I ever did before. My primary hobby focuses are painting and gaming – not huge on conversion or assembly.

I started very much as a “play for fun” sort of gamer and then from working at various shops got to know people who were tournament gamers and realized in a very big way that there is very much more than one way to have fun. As a result I like a good, tight competitive game as much as I like a silly smash the models together and have a drink game. There’s a hobby rainbow out there and I’d very much like to show everyone there’s more than one way to play your favourites.

What I’d like to do with my role on Victorian Miniature Gaming – I’d like to use my previous skills as a video production lackey to make interesting gaming and painting videos, shill The House of War’s upcoming gaming events and talk about Malifaux and Blood Bowl far too much. If you ever need to know more about either of these games, I’m your man!

No comments:

Post a Comment